Friday, July 24, 2009

10 minutes from home

Its strange to live in a city... um, ok town, for those of you who might get offended - the population of Durham is 43,000... maybe thats a village... anyway, the numbers aren't the point... What I was saying is that it is strange to live in a place where there's little to do for city-lovers. Durham has one cinema hall-plus-theatre. It has a decent number of restaurants and pubs, which is good but doesn't make up for the fact that there's little else, though I hear that many of the pubs hold quizzes in the evenings. Sounds strange but I'm willing to check this pub-quiz-culture out. And it has quite many shops: mostly clothing and stuff, I know one of them is a bookshop, about three small shops have fresh vegetables and fruits (which, by the way, close at 5:30 pm everyday and are closed on sundays) and one shop has lentils (the uncooked and uncanned ones, which are the kind I'm interested in). So I sometimes wonder how I landed up here. But there are days when I go for an evening walk, and then its quite heavenly. I never thought I'd be living 10 minutes from grassy fields with sheep grazing in them.

4 comments:

  1. if pub-quiz fails, try darts. there aren't many things as english as throwing darts is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to see a picture of the sheep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just loved the way you see/feel Durham city and its periphery and profile. Its so great to read it and feel gratified. Have great time especially with the 'silence' that must be there.
    Love & hugs,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't resist adding a few words; enjoy what i said earlier together with walking around, shopping fresh vegetables ansd lentils that u like, venturing to a pub not to play quiz but to have nice wine or a drink of such kind you prefer, and buying some nice clothing. All these together will make ur hear joyful and also extend the same to others with ur wit i know about. As ever your Dad

    ReplyDelete