Tuesday, January 25, 2011

discovered Dmitri Shostakovich

Last week I went to listen to the Michelangelo String Quartet at the Sage. One of the pieces played was Dmitri Shostakovich's String Quartet No.2. in A major Op. 68, composed by him in 1944. It pretty much blew my mind... quite unlike anything I'd ever heard in western classical music... Parts of it made me feel quite distressed, an emotion that I wouldn't exactly associate with music - powerful stuff - this is not the kind of music that makes you zone out and which becomes nice background music after awhile. So I've been thinking of looking it up on youtube ever since and finally found the entire piece today. It comprises of four movements:

1. Overture: Moderato con moto
2. Recitative and Romance: Adagio
3. Waltz: Allegro
4. Theme with Variations: Adagio

Two of the movements are each on two separate videos, so there are 6 videos in all that cover the entire piece:


Movement I


Movement II (1/2)


Movement II (2/2)


Movement III


Movement IV (1/2)


Movement IV (2/2)

No comments:

Post a Comment