Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lithops / Pebble plant / Living stone

The first plant to enter my house is this strange looking thing which came to me all the way from London, from Romi's windowsill (Romi's my housemate - she's sorta part-time housemate which is why you haven't yet seen her in my apartment or cooking experiment photos, but at some point I think she'll turn up - anyway I digress...so coming back to this plant...). It is called Lithops and according to wikipedia it is a genus of succulent plants native to southern Africa. "Lithos" means "stone" and "-ops" means "face" in ancient Greek, so Lithops means "stone-like." They are also known as "pebble plants" or "living stones" and the deal with their sexy looks is that they can blend in with surrounding rocks and thus not get eaten. Romi should be happy to see that I haven't killed her plant yet and it has in fact grown taller!

No comments:

Post a Comment