Monday, May 30, 2011

birds around melrose, the scottish borders

Did some bird-watching - mainly on the River Tweed at Melrose and at one of the small lochs (known as the Stoney Knowes Moss) up in the hills beyond Gattonside.
The photos are all with my camera's zoom, which at times is very inadequate! Thus, the blurry photos in some cases... most cases actually. I've tried to identify the birds using the RSPB website's fantastic bird-identifier.

Grey Heron (I am too thrilled that I spotted a Grey Heron!!!)

Coot (below two photos)


Common Sandpiper (below three photos)



Mallard (male) (below)
(the most common of ducks - I was struck by the blue under its wings - don't quite remember noticing that before!)

Mix of Common Gulls and Herring Gulls I think (below two photos)

Black-headed Gull (summer plumage) (below)

Oystercatcher (below three photos)



Chaffinch (male) (below two photos)

Below seems to be either a Chaffinch (female) or a Bullfinch (juvenile)


No comments:

Post a Comment